Alan Perkins

Alan Perkins 1941-

Born: 28 May 1941 Pinner, Middlesex
Father:Ronald Leonard Perkins
Mother:Peggy Irene Williams
Spouse:Carole Nason
Married: 31 May 1969 St. Mary's, Twickenham
Children:Mark Robert Perkins, Debra Joanne Perkins
Updated: 11 Jan 1997


Alan was born during the Second World War and thus became what was commonly known at that time as “a war baby”.

Much of his childhood was spent living in Chessington at 48, Fircroft Road which was a house rented by his parents until they moved to 17, Orchard Road just a mile away. Alan started school life at Moor Lane infants which was directly next to his middle school Gosberry Hill. At the age of 11 years Alan then moved to his last place of schooling at Tolworth School for Boys which was not a mixed School because the Girls were on the First floor and in Portacabins alongside the Boys playground which the Girls had to traverse to reach their Classrooms!! As you can imagine this generated much trouble for the Boys who received regular punishment by way of caning and detention for endeavoring to pass endless “love notes” to their respective girl friends as they passed by. Was it worth it one might ask? Of course it was, as the saying goes. No pain . .no gain.!!

Alan was not probably described as a model pupil because to him the main purpose in life was to play Football, Cricket and Athletics . However, when one year he actually managed to come bottom of the Class he thought perhaps he ought to make an effort because getting punished at School was heroic, getting punished at home was painful. As a result a much more concerted effort was made with considerable improvement in academic performance!

During his childhood Alan used to spend a lot of his Summers with his Grandparents in Eastcote. In fact when he was old enough he used to cycle the journey to Eastcote from Chessington. The route he remembers well, it being via Kingston, Twickenham and Gillette Corner up the Greenford Road to the Western Avenue along the Western Avenue to Ruislip and on into Eastcote. One of his Granddad’s favourite games for Alan was to get him to try and catch pigeons in the back garden by putting salt on their tail! Needless to say this resulted in more salt being spread on the lawn than pigeons actually being caught. To add to his repertoire, Alan having become a bit of a nuisance at home, was told by his Mother to “go and eat worms”. Mother next found him contentedly sitting by her flower bed with a mouth full of mud! However, his most heroic attempt at receiving an early demise was whilst assisting Granddad in the garden. He pruned his Grandma's prize Peony by removing all 13 flower heads with a pair of scissors!!

During the Winter months Alan would spend Saturday mornings playing Football and then run home to catch Dad in time to go and watch football at Chelsea. On some occasions he did not run fast enough only to get home and see Dad’s car disappearing round the corner, which of course prompted many tears of woe. Dad always recalled the Saturday when I did get home on time and he took me to watch Chelsea play Aston Villa. It poured with rain and in those days the Terraces were unprotected. There was Alan standing alone at the top of the terracing (everyone else had gone for cover) determined to watch the game.. soaked through.

Sport was the major ingredient of life all the way through from being in the School teams for both Cricket (on concrete pitches covered with a coconut matting) and Football to Youth Club football during which time he incurred the wrath of his father. It was when Alan had spent some days in bed with the “Flu” and was anxious to play on the Saturday in an important Cup tie. Father said no way but once Father had gone out with Mother, Alan rose from his bed and went. Unfortunately Dad knew best because Alan busted his cartilage in his right knee and was carried off after 10 minutes. This resulted in hospitalisation and an operation. This was followed 18 months later with the second cartilage going in the same knee so effectively finishing a budding football career. As an alternative Alan then took to Ten Pin bowling at which he excelled representing his Company in a League.

Cricket being the other major sport took him from School playing to Club cricket a side that he Captained for a year and was also fixture Secretary for in earlier years. This led to representative Cricket for the Surrey Taverners and involved playing at the Oval. On his debut Alan whilst fielding at Mid On took a brilliant catch above his head to remove the then Captain of Sussex Martlets, one Martin Burgess. When the Taverners turn came to bat Alan was put in as opener. Having survived three overs and dispatched Bill Frindall (currently the BBC Statistician at Test Matches) to the fine leg boundary for four he received what can only be described as a “howitzer” from Bill which not only removed Alan's middle stump. It projected it some way towards the long leg boundary with the bails being caught on one side by the slips and the other by the square leg umpire! This prompted Alan with customary humour, as he passed Bill on his way back to the Pavilion “Was it something I said?” Bill laughed “That will teach you for hitting me to the boundary”. However. the duties of married life meant that Cricket had to go by the board particularly once Mark had been born. However, not to be deterred Alan found a peculiar game one day which required one to hit a little white ball with a stick that had a lump of metal on one end around a large field that had 18 holes in it with a flag pole in each. Thinking that this must be some pre historic ritual the purpose of which had escaped him he became more curious as it went along. He could not understand, for example, why there were so many trees and bushes in what were called fairways. However, he persevered and whilst the standard of his efforts has improved little to this day he has a lovely collection of sticks with lumps of metal on the end and a collection of little white balls which he replaces following each effort as they seem to disappear with regular monotony.

Having left School at the age of 15 years he started work in the City as an office junior working for a firm of Lloyds Insurance Brokers. He soon made progress and was introduced to the “Room” at Lloyds and was awarded his “Identity Pass”. He spent five wonderful years in this Institution having learned more about life there than he could ever have done elsewhere. His major claim to fame in this period was being given responsibility for placing a gigantic risk on the market for Cadbury Schweppes. By the time all the Underwriters had taken their fraction of a percentage the “slip”, as it was called, was about ten feet long and took a month to get completed. During his time here he met Her Royal Highness The Princess Margaret and will never forget thinking “God, isn’t she small?”

His second place of work was for a Company in Kingston known as Invincible Motor Policies as an Underwriter. The favourite name for them in view of their Underwriting criteria was “Invisible Motor Policies.” It was here that Alan first fell in love with a girl called Janet to whom he subsequently became engaged to be married. Unfortunately Alan got the sack because he defended his “Fiancee’s” honour in a bust up with another female member of staff. Alan’s father was not best pleased with the man who had sacked his son so went to see him and told him his fortune with the upshot that the sacking was withdrawn but Alan declined to return.

Not unnaturally Alan became a little disenchanted with the Insurance industry so went to work for a Travel Agency in Thames Ditton and after a while became Manager of the shop in Kingston. Eventually Alan transferred back to Thames Ditton to handle Business Accounts. The Travel Agency got into financial strife so Alan looked elsewhere and in September 1962 started work for the Automobile Association in Teddington, an organisation where he worked for the next 30 years.

It was here that he met Carole. Oddly enough they did not particularly like each other at first but clearly something happened to change things but being a great believer in fate it was obviously meant to be. During his career with the AA he spent time working in the Membership Dept. for Overseas members, Legal and Technical until specialisation came about so he chose to work in the Legal Dept. handling the Free Legal Defence for Motoring offences, then Contract Law for disputes with garages before moving to the Retail sector undertaking a special project in Maidstone, Kent for six months, then a further project in Luton for a year before being promoted to Area Manager Thames Valley ending up as Asst. Regional Sales Manager Insurance for London with special projects until the recession bit hard in 1992 and the entire middle Management structure was dismantled and dispensed with. It being at a time when “ageism” was prevalent whereby anyone over the age of 37 was effectively unemployable unless extremely lucky. It was also a period of change where the “jobs for life” syndrome disappeared and more and more people found themselves working under short term Contracts as Consultants on a self employed basis. So he decided to be independent and took on a “self employed “ status. He tried his hand at one or two ventures which were not particularly successful so took on, as a temporary stop gap to earn some much needed money, selling Double Glazing for a National Company. Not his ideal choice but it did what was required. He also has another venture on the go which is very much a background one but is also earning some money.

Alan knowing on which side his bread was buttered did not leave home until the age of 28 when he married Carole at St. Mary’s Church in Twickenham. He and his parents were at that time living in Claygate in a new house in Blakedon Drive. It was here that life began a trail of change in many ways. During our time there our Grandmother sadly became very ill and later died. Mum’s pet Poodle ‘Ricky’ died. Alan’s sister Lorrie decided to uproot and go to South Africa for a period of six months . The six months became five years. I will never forget the first night of Lorrie's departure. You would have thought the entire family had been erased from the Earth. The depression was dreadful. Our poor Mum must have thought the world was coming to an end. It was after all only a natural progression. It's just that my sister got in first and left me holding the can! Still what are Sisters for? Does anyone know?

Unfortunately for Alan his impending marriage to Carole did not meet with “family approval” because, I think, of the age difference which was and still is 9 years 358 days. After many rows about why her, why couldn't you marry so and so, it came to pass on the 31st May 1969. Alan’s only regret was that his sister was not at his Wedding because she was still in South Africa.

Not long after this Mum and Dad decided the house was too much and they moved up the road to a Bungalow where Mum died in November 1977. Dad subsequently moved to a flat in Walton on Thames where he stayed until September 1996 when he moved to Farnham, his last port of call before he passed away in December 1996.

Alan and Carole bought a newly built maisonette in Ashford, Middx where they spent the first years of their married life during which time Alan had his Appendix removed in Emergency one Saturday night in 1970 and Carole became pregnant and subsequently gave birth to our son Mark Robert on 9th August 1971 at Ashford Hospital following which Alan finished up back in Hospital for further Surgery after complications left over from the Appendectomy. They then moved to a house in Sunbury-on-Thames which Carole detested immensely and during the stay there gave birth to Debra Joanne on 19th October 1974 again at Ashford Hospital.

In about 1977 Alan and Carol moved house again back to Ashford to Conway Drive. Carole was so pleased to be moving she was the first out of the house at Sunbury and was seen traveling at great speed down the road whilst Alan and a neighbour friend loaded their worldly goods onto a rented van. In 1983 Alan and Carole undertook one more move, this time under job relocation to Maidenhead where they still reside. (4 Milverton Close, Cox Green, Maidenhead. By coincidence this new development had been built on the land that had been Lady Benda Milverton's home for some 40 years. Benda was the aunt of Michael Otway to whom Lorraine, Alan's sister, was married. Michael placed Alan's new home as being near the drive entrance to the old house.)

Both Mark and Debra have now married with Debra presenting a Granddaughter the day after Dad’s birthday. Every effort was made to match up the birthdays but Lauren was determined to be boss and hung on for a few more hours being born at 7.30 am on the 12th. Lauren was Dad’s Great Granddaughter.

ID: 41   Generated by GedTree on 27 Aug 2002

Name Index Surname Index Contact Home